ABOUT OUR BLACK-HOODED NUNS:
Pet World gets all of its Black-hooded nuns from private breeders within the United States. Image is for referrence only and may not represent a bird currently available at Pet World.
BLACK-HOODED NUN FACTS:
- Black-hooded nuns live on average 5-12 years
- Black-hooded nuns are also known as Chestnut Mannikin, Chestnut Munia, Black-headed Munia, Black-headed Nun, Black-headed Mannikin, Southern Black-headed Munia
- The adult has a stubby pale grey-blue bill, black head, and brown body, with a brick red patch on the lower back, visible only when it flies. Some races also have a black belly.
- The sexes are similar, but immature birds have uniform pale brown upperparts, lack the dark head and have white to pale buff underparts.
- Their diet should consist of quality seed mixes. Supplementing their diet with grit, cuttlebone, and spray millet also gives them necessary nutrients.